22 June 2009

New Recipe: Soy Milk Biscuits w/ Mashed Berries

Like most modern women, I've never been "friends" with my kitchen; shunning it instead, for the plethora of restaurants, bars and fast food shops in my area. However, since moving into my new place, I've had to tighten the belt on my budget and well, it's not plausible or sensible to eat out several times a week.

Now don't ask why, but since last night I've had a hankering for biscuits. I can't explain it, but out of nowhere, last night, I decided to make some. I didn't have any buttermilk or regular sugar, so I substituted soymilk (I'm lactose intolerant) for the buttermilk and raw (demerarra) sugar for regular sugar. And actually, the raw sugar gave a nice crunch and texture to the biscuits.

Despite the impromptu attempt at cooking, they turned out really well. They're delicious and a healthier option to buttermilk biscuits. They would be equally delicious for breakfast or dessert.

Here's the recipe:
1 cup soymilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp raw sugar
5 tbsp butter, cut into pieces

  1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  2. Mash the butter pieces into the flour mixture thoroughly until the mixture is piecey.
  3. Stir in the cup of soymilk until the mixture becomes a soft, sticky dough.
  4. Now these are drop biscuits, so use a large spoon to drop spoonsfuls of the dough onto a nonstick baking sheet. Place them at least 3" apart.
  5. Bake for 15 min at 450' until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.
  6. For the fruit mixture, cut up your favorite berries and mix with a teaspoon of raw sugar. Let that sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. Sugar helps to draw out berries' natural juices and sweetness.
  7. All you do, is plate the berries with your Soymilk Drop Biscuits and drizzle with a tiny bit of honey (if you want additional sweetness) and enjoy.
Here are some pictures:

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! These biscuits are great and quite easy to make. Thanks for the idea. Almost like having a dessert for breakfast. Good job Lindsey Lou, I can't wait for the next recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Lindsey Lou! Loves Comments...so show some love.